- Tillis has been endorsed by former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich, current U.S. House Speaker John Boehner, Republican strategist Karl Rove, and Sen. Mitch McConnell – an impressive line-up of “old guard,” business-as-usual, go-along-to-get-along, establishment Republicans. Remember when Rove declared war on the Tea Party in 2013? Also, did you know that McConnell has a lifetime average grade of 76% with Heritage Action of America and FreedomWorks and has recently said that the establishment Republicans are “going to crush” Tea Party candidates in the 2014 midterm elections? What is more, Tillis has received additional endorsements by Mitt Romney, Senator Richard Burr, Senator Lindsey Graham, Gov. Pat McCrory, and Jeb Bush, all of whom are moderate Conservatives.
- Tillis’ Civitas Action scorecard shows a very poor rating. In 2008, he got a C+; in 2009, he got a D; in 2010, he got an F; as you can tell, he’s gotten worse over time. His average score is 48 while his ranking is 33 out of 121 in the House.
- Tillis was Speaker of the House in Raleigh when North Carolina became one of the 45 states to adopt Common Core in 2012 and he did nothing to stop it. What is more, His hand-picked Education Committee chairman, Rep. Linda Johnson, was and is a proponent of Common Core.
- In 2011, Tillis missed 6 out of 10 votes to keep Obamacare out of North Carolina. That same year, he backed the North Carolina Health Benefit Exchange Authority vote in the House, aiming to create an exchange in our state similar to those created by Obamacare. Then, in early February 2014, on the Bill LuMaye Show, Tillis said Obamacare is “a great idea that can’t be paid for.” It’s a “great idea”? Really? According to Public Policy Polling, only 15% of Republicans agree with Tillis on this, while 78% disagree. Of course, in that same month, “…Tillis announced his support for the ‘Obamacare alternative’ put forward by Senator Richard Burr, who is famously unpopular in conservative circles for saying that defunding the ACA is the “dumbest idea [he’s] ever heard.” Tillis praised the plan for embracing the “things that Obamacare seems to have right,” a stance that Hagan quoted approvingly in a recent campaign release.”
- Tillis reeks of lobbying money.
- Tillis is a proponent of pay-to-drive toll roads, as was Beverly Perdue. Instead of cutting unnecessary spending and being fiscally responsible with the people’s money, liberal politicians like Tillis think it’s best to burden the people with yet another “tax.” Mismanagement of the people’s money has been a severe problem in Raleigh for several decades on both sides of the aisle and it must stop now.
- Tillis’ “Women for Tillis” coalition co-chairwoman is Dr. Mary Susan Fulghum, who helped found the Planned Parenthood Health Systems headquarters in Raleigh. Of course, while she did this many years ago, she has never publicly shown any regret whatsoever for her involvement with Planned Parenthood, which is the largest tax-payer funded abortion provider in the United States.
- On March 29, 2014, at the Mecklenburg Republican Party Convention, Tillis, along with his supporters, voted in favor of a series of convention rule changes that prohibit the local County from passing meaningful resolutions designed to take a stand on issues or direct local elected officials to support or oppose specific legislative goals.
If you are aware of any other pieces of information about Mr. Tillis that you think we need to know, please comment below. Thank you.